Juli Thorson, editor and associate publisher of Horse & Rider magazine posted this warning in her blog, Juli Thorson’s Horse Talk, on June 17:
It may only take as little as 1/4 teaspoon of the deworming drug to cause serious effects in a dog who ingests it. A horse can easily spit out this much, or you can have this much left over in a discarded tube that a dog finds and starts to chew on.
This warning covers certain breeds of dog affected by a genetic mutation which renders them unable to process the drug effectively metabolically.
Play it safe by keeping your dog(s) confined whenever you plan to administer ivermectin to horses. Watch horses closely after giving the drug, to make sure they haven’t spit any out. Wipe up althing that falls and discard safely. Store tubes of ivermectin paste, whether new or used, out of dogs’ reach. Dispose of used tubes with care.
As Thorson warns, play it safe when deworming and keep your dogs secured. It only takes a little, and the consequences of ingesting even a little could be fatal.
© 2009 enlightened horsemanship through touch and Kim Cox Carneal
If you like what you have been reading, please subscribe to the RSS Feed, and visit Bloggers Choice Awards to vote for Enlightened Horsemanship Through Touch.